Employee of the Month Program
Purpose: The purpose of the Employee of the Month Program is to recognize employees who have served Humboldt County in an exceptional manner by exemplifying outstanding service through his or her work and exhibiting a positive and supportive attitude.
The nominee must be a permanent employee and must be approved by his or her supervisor (which will be verified) prior to being named as the recipient of the award.
Attitude and Commitment
- Dedicated to fulfilling job responsibilities
- Demonstrates good customer service skills
- Consistently dependable and is punctual in reporting to work
- Active involvement in committees, fund-raisers, fairs, trainings, and other miscellaneous activities
- Serves as a role model to others
- Goes above and beyond the requirements of the job
- Displays a helpful, cooperative and positive attitude towards superiors and co-workers
- Consistently friendly and available to others
- Uses effective listening skills
- Has a team player attitude
- Voluntarily assists co-workers in order to complete important department projects
- Knowledgeable of Humboldt County policy and procedure
- High overall quality of performance
- Accurately completes work assignments on time
- Controls high stress situations tactfully and calmly
- Takes initiative
- Requires little supervision
- Willingness to learn and take on new responsibilities
- Ability to train others and gladly willing to do so
- Maintains an appropriate and neat personal appearance and dress
- Professional demeanor
- Conscientious, honest, hard-working
- Integrity, on and off the job
Nominees will be judged on a point system. Each criteria standard has a 5 point value. Any employee can nominate a co-worker simply by filling out and submitting a nomination form. Customers may also fill out and submit a nomination form. They are to be submitted to the County Administrator’s Office in printed form (please do not email the nomination).
Nominators should keep in mind the judging criteria and write the nomination accordingly. When asked why a co-worker is deserving of the award, elaborate on your response; give specific examples; using your descriptions, draw a picture for the judges of the perfect Humboldt County employee. Attempt to reveal in words how your co-worker met each of the criteria.
Once a month, the Employee of the Month Selection Committee will meet to review all of the nomination submissions. Each nomination will be graded according to the previously-stated criteria and the points tallied to determine the nominee’s overall score. The highest scoring nominee will be considered for the award. Once this is determined, we will verify with the candidate’s supervisor that the employee is not under any disciplinary action that would cause him or her to be ineligible for the award.
Once the selection has been finalized, the Committee will present the winner with a plaque at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Commissioners. A recognition plaque will also be displayed in the workplace with the names of each month’s recipient. The employee will receive a recognition button to wear to work for the month of the award.
The Employee of the Month Selection Committee will consist of past recipients of the award. The recipient of the award each month will automatically serve on the committee for the next 4 months. The committee will consist of 4 past awardees. The initial committee will be members of the County Administrator’s Office until a full committee of 4 awardees is established.