Library Board

The Humboldt County Library Board of Trustees was created in 1956 and exists under the authority of NRS 379.020. Prior to that time, there was a three-member library committee. The first library was started in 1923 in Winneva Hall on Bridge Street by a volunteer Civic Club. The library was moved to the Courthouse in 1928 where it operated until a library facility was constructed at the present 5th Street site in 1968. A 4,000 square foot expansion was completed in 1992 bringing the current facility to a total of 17,000 square feet and an annual circulation of 152,000.

The powers and duties of the Board of Trustees are listed in NRS 379.025. They include, among other things, responsibility for establishing, supervising and maintaining the County library system that consists of the main Library in Winnemucca and branch libraries located in McDermitt and Denio. The Board appoints a Library Director who administers all functions of the library system and carries out policies established by the Trustees and the Board of County Commissioners.

The Library Board consists of five members who are residents of the County. Members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners to serve four-year terms. No Trustee may be appointed to hold office for more than two consecutive four-year terms. Vacancies are filled by the County Commissioners for the remainder of the unexpired term. The Commissioners may remove any trustee who fails, without cause, to attend three successive meetings.

  1. 2019 MINUTES
  2. 2018 Minutes
  3. 2017 Minutes
  4. 2016 Minutes